As if tornados and snakes are not enough... let's just throw in some BEES!
As we pulled into the driveway last night from Christopher's t-ball game, the next door neighbor came running out of her house. "There was a huge, swarm of bees flying through the neighborhood and they landed in your eaves!" I kept thinking to myself - what? slow down lady? ultra vez?
"I pulled into our driveway and was unloading the boys when I suddenly heard a loud motor running, or someone revving up an engine, or something like that. I grabbed the boys for I saw this black plague coming through the sky. We ducked under our sideyard for cover. It was a swarm of bees! They landed on/in your house. I quickly got the boys inside and haven't seen them since. But Cindy, it was black, black I say!"
OK - so I call Glenn who was working late... we are also in a severe thunderstorm watch and it's nearly 8pm and none of us, let me say that again - none of us have eaten dinner yet.
I went into the house, but nothing is around. I hear nothing either. I get the kids inside and look up to the ceiling - they're either in the attic or have moved on!
Glenn got home in a few minutes and we got everyone down for dinner (thank goodness for the crock-pot). Still - no sign of bees. It's dark now and everyone is in bed. The severe thunderstorms move on and everyone is asleep - ACCEPT ME! (BEES IN MY ATTIC!?!? Could it be... bee...?!?!)
The morning arrives (Nick's b-day) and we move on with our day. We'll just pretend that the conversation with Teresa was just a fluke. Moving along... we got the boys to school and then made a Costco run. Moving right along... as we pull into the driveway around 11am... guess what's flying around our beautiful home - BEES! NO NO NO
NOW WHAT? I give Glenn a call - "let's just get them taken care of before I get home... you know my Dad is severely allergic to them, and I may be too - but I've never been bitten." Thanks honey, that helps a whole lot!
It's now time to go get the boys from school. But I really need to find a bee keeper. The bees can wait, they've waited all night... we get the boys and come back home. I begin calling and talk to Doug.
Doug is a part-time bee keeper for the past 30 years. He is a TEXAS native and you can tell. "Well missy, I thought you said that there eave was about 13 feet off the ground. That's more like 30 feet!" Oops! "They're definitely in your attic! Ya' got 2 options: Set-up a hive in your attic and once they've settled in I'll move the hive, probably next week. And you're lucky 'cause right before ya' called a lady dropped off a used hive and I stuck it in my '57 Chevy. It's still got honey in it!" (WOW - my lucky day!) "The other option is to fumigate them outta' here but that's kinda' against the law and I don't have my license anymore 'cause I'm kinda' retired and all!" Doug is probably 75 but was referred to me by the Frisco Police Department. See, I called Animal Control for I didn't know who to call at the time.
So, we have a hive (a big box with about 8 combs) in OUR attic for the next few days. Please move in, please move in, please move in... so we can get you OUT OUT OUT!
And as for all my great friends who have considered checking out Texas, and any visitors that were planning to come and see us all - bring your bee nets, weather alert radio and snake bite kit and you'll be JUST FINE! JUST FINE WE SAY!
COME ON Y'ALL! ALL Y'ALL COME VISIT US NOW, 'YA HEAR! :)
Friday, April 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
But the questions is.... are the bees bigger in Texas???
EVERYTHING's bigger in Texas! :)
Seriously, though, I can't believe that! CRAZY!!
Oh my gosh, Cindy! As if you don't already have enough to do!!! Ahhhhh! You better move back :) JK - we actually had two swarms move in this house - the first one the bug guy had us put a strip thing up in the attic and they all dies, the second one luckily decided to move on on its own. I don't think either of them were as big as yours' though. Happy Birthday, Nick!
You guys must attract dangerous creatures.
Hmm. I thought that the snake in the kitchen was bad, but bees in the attic may even top that.
Glad that 'Doug' came to the rescue, and I really hope that I never have to call you for his #.
Good luck, and keep us updated!
Post a Comment