Well, I believe that SPRING BREAK is actually a time for Mother's to take a "dry run" of what Summer Break may have in store (kinda' a precursor)... AND IF IT'S AT ALL TRUE - I may be doomed! Let me explain...
Glenn leaves Monday morning at 6am for San Jose and will be back late Wed night (why are we taking a business trip during Spring Break???). Of course ALL want to tell him BYE BYE so EVERYONE is up by 5:30am... Day 1 begins.
Ben comments, "Mom, I just want to do what you do when we're gone to school." Zach agrees. I explain that since it's Monday morning we usually do a little house cleaning from the weekend. Zach is instructed to begin vaccuming the toy room, then move onto the boy's bedroom and then into the family room. After he's finished with the toy room he comments, "Do you do this every day?" I assure him no but then look at the quality of work that is being done and comment, "If it can't be done better than this, than I guess you'll be vaccuming every morning." (He is not amused.)
After a breakfast of Lucky Charms and Cocoa Pebbles (it's Spring Break) we hit Joe's Barber Shop and walk out with 4 of the handsomest looking boys in less than 20 minutes! WOW!
Off we went to the Train Park in Scottsdale with the Adam's Family (plus cousins). THIS IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR THOSE WITH BOYS AGES 1 THRU 80+ plus it has a wonderful park with misting equipment and shade screens too... real nice. One problem, I lost Nicholas. But we found him. Another story sometime. We took our lunch and had a great time with the Adam's Family.
Off to home we go... realize, we are in the truck for Glenn took the van to the airport. This was my idea - I wanted to be able to load bikes, baseball equipment, etc. easily and the truck is the way to go.
So, picture Emma in her big honkin' carseat in the middle seat up front with Ben next to her; the other boys are in the back. Her feet are just the correct length to kick the gear stick (P R N D). We're on the on-ramp, just about to hop onto the 101 and she kicks the gear stick from D to N... not realizing this I step on the gas (for there's a semi comin' up from behind) and the engine REALLY REVS UP (you should've seen the dials)! The semi swerves and honks and of course Nick and Chris and Zach are all asking, "Mom, Mom, was he honkin' at us?!?!?" It wasn't that close but I nearly broke my daughter's toes and calmly BUT STERNLY told her to never ever do that again.
So, what does she continue to do each time we get into the truck for a ride - kick the dang gear stick! (When you get past 4 kids I believe the patience just wears thin and isn't really there. I feel like no one listens.) Anyway... her toes are just the perfect length to press all the radio, CD presets, etc, etc... the music can get kinda' LOUD in a truck.
Later that evening we decided to play baseball in the front yard. Ben and Zach are playing catch. No problem. The problem - a 4-year old walking around with a bat! NOT GOOD! Let's just say, I am very very grateful that Emma had her bike helmet on and buckled. Chris was just swinging around, missed the T and nailed Emma. WOW! Did it crack! She cried, but thank goodness he didn't hit the flesh. (That really could have been a bad one.)
Day 1 has ended! We are all still alive and together!
Today was Day 2 and it was a bit better than yesterday. We had gymnastics in the morning for Chris and Emma. Then we had gymnastics in the afternoon with Nicholas. Ben and Zach commented, " This is really boring stuff Mom. I wish Dad were home so we could just stay at home." (YES, we are all spoiled with Glenn working from home.)
This evening, Zach had coach-pitch practice and the coach was happy that I brought Ben and Nick, for they helped out since a lot of the boys didn't make it (Spring Break). Chris and Emma and I practiced our T-ball on the adjoining field and had a blast!
Tomorrow is Day 3 - a slow day. Ben has piano lessons in the afternoon. THAT'S IT! We'll make a grocery store run - that's always fun.
Then, off to CA on Thursday and Legoland on Friday... it's getting better and better each day! :) We should ALL survive!
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sometimes it feels as if it's amazing we survive raising children at all. Luckily there are great moments mixed up in there with all the rest! Have fun in California.
What's the big deal. I don't mind when there isn't school!! :-)
Post a Comment